Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Shooting at Virginia Tech.


I think the tragedy that took place at Virginia Tech was a very sad event. It's amazing how people can take the innocent lives of others when we live in a society where people are fighting to survive every day. Thirty three people lost their lives and this incident became the deadliest shooting in all of the United States history. I think what makes this tragedy worse is that the gunman has been identified as a Virginia Tech student in at least the second of the two campus attacks. It leaves me to think, how can someone actually do that?

As I sat in Biology class this morning, my professor received a call from his brother in India. He called to make sure that everyone at St. John's is okay because he heard there was a shooting at a University. I immediately thought..wow...the news of this incident has become worldwide so quickly.

As I was reading the article, there were pictures and captions of Past School Shootings. I noticed that most of these shootings took place by teens, rather students as young as ages 11 and 13. I think the society is gradually becoming more and more corrupt. One reason is because of the media. Kids see these weapons like guns on television all of the time and it's only natural for some of them to want to have experiences with these things. Children, as well as adults, are very curious and everyone knows that when you tell a child not to do something, or he can't have something, he immediately tries to go against you because of curiosity. I think this tragedy has once again brought people together, as did the September 11 attacks, but neither of the incidents brought them together in a peaceful manner.

1 comment:

Ed Vis said...

April 16th will mark the first anniversary of the Virginia shooting and it will be in the memory of many.

What happened at Virginia Tech is a tragedy of immense proportions.

There are no easy answers. Life is indeed very fragile and there are no easy answers to complex problems.

Only thing we can do is to pray and hope these kind of things will never happen again.