When I first started High School in 2002, I felt really strange because I went to an all girls Catholic High School. After changing from public school to Catholic school in the Seventh grade, I thought that transition was a major one, because I was introduced to new things like wearing uniforms and taking Religion classes. However, during the first few weeks when I started going to The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates, Queens, all of the freshmen girls were like, "Where are the guys??" Yes, we did have some male teachers, but there were no boys in our classes. Very weird!
In Sociology class during my Senior year of High School, we had to do a group project. My group decided to interview the different class years (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors) to find out things like what they thought about the uniforms, the school, rules, and having no boys in the classes. Most girls said that they felt strange at first (which was normal) but they gradually got used to the idea of "no boys." They said that with no boys in the classes, they felt that they would be able to concentrate more in class and pay more attention to the course work. They also said that they didn't have to wear make-up and look pretty to "impress" any guys (although some girls did do that to impress some of the male teachers!)
After four years of not really being around guys, when I started college, once again, I felt very strange. Beginning at Orientation, I asked myself, "Why are there guys here?" I guess this idea leads to one interpretation of the quote by John Dewey, "We get used to the chains we wear, and we miss them when removed." Since I was so use to not having guys around me, it feels very different now. Similarly, we get used to certain habits and when they are gone, we miss them.
In Sociology class during my Senior year of High School, we had to do a group project. My group decided to interview the different class years (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors) to find out things like what they thought about the uniforms, the school, rules, and having no boys in the classes. Most girls said that they felt strange at first (which was normal) but they gradually got used to the idea of "no boys." They said that with no boys in the classes, they felt that they would be able to concentrate more in class and pay more attention to the course work. They also said that they didn't have to wear make-up and look pretty to "impress" any guys (although some girls did do that to impress some of the male teachers!)
After four years of not really being around guys, when I started college, once again, I felt very strange. Beginning at Orientation, I asked myself, "Why are there guys here?" I guess this idea leads to one interpretation of the quote by John Dewey, "We get used to the chains we wear, and we miss them when removed." Since I was so use to not having guys around me, it feels very different now. Similarly, we get used to certain habits and when they are gone, we miss them.


3 comments:
Padmini,
Your journal has really improved since the last time I looked at it!
I like the way you're balancing quotes/CBook entries with your own commentary. Keep doing that, and perhaps vary the kinds of things you "paste" into your CBook so you have other things to write about.
Any thoughts on something to write about for your first report? I see a lot of options already. I'm curious about your music teaching. Your name is obviously interesting. And this entry on "boys" is interesting too as a subcultural study in education.
Anyway, think about where you'd like to go with your writing in preparation for the upcoming reports.
i like this one! it was cute!
hows the writing going from the interview? if u need any help..let me n0o0 =D
I agree with everyone else who commented on this entry. I enjoyed reading it because it was an honest entry based on your real experiences. I always went to a public school, so unfortuantly, I was surrounded by boys. Some girls probably didn't like being with girls all day, but I think boys cause too much drama. In my experience, girls are more dramatic than boys, but it's because of the boys that the girls are dramatic. When boys are around, everything changes in a girl. All of a sudden, they change the way they talk and they always feel a need to impress the guys. I'm not saying that I don't do this, because I am guilty of it too. I think it's a natural instinct for people to act this way. When girls are with other girls and boys are not present, we tend to be ourselves more. Competition is never usually an issue if boys are not around ( I said usually). All in all, it must have been different for you to come here and be surrounded by lots of boys. Although I think it's nice to be away from boys throughout high school, you do eventually get to a point where you have to be around boys. Otherwise, one is bound to go crazy!
Post a Comment